The S. Kirk Cabeen Travel Stipend Award is offered to a library school student or first time conference attendee. This $1,000 award, generously supported by SPIE Digital Library, is to be used toward expenses of attending the SLA Annual Conference in Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A. on June 14-17, 2015
QUALIFICATIONS: Be a library school student or first time attendee; be a current member of SLA, preference going to Science-Technology Division members; if NOT a student, then applicant must be attending his or her first SLA conference. Please note, membership in SLA for students or low-income librarians is very affordable ($40 US). See http://www.sla.org/access-membership/join-sla/
NOMINATIONS: Self-nominations are encouraged.
Send a typed document including complete title, Library School and anticipated graduation date (if applicable), employer (if applicable), and all professional and personal contact information.
All nominations must also include the following:
A short essay (500 words or less) on the theme of the 2015 Annual Conference: “Be Revolutionary”. The essay should be double-spaced. Neatness, spelling and grammar will count in judging.
Supporting documentation MUST include a current curriculum vita OR resume for the candidate
Supporting documentation SHOULD include supporting letters from instructors, employers, or colleagues, as applicable.
A list of significant publications (if applicable), or other documentation regarding qualifications may be included.
Applications should also mention if you are currently applying for other SLA Division awards or any other SLA awards.
DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS: March 31, 2015
Nominations and all accompanying materials should be sent to Janet Hughes, Chair of the Sci-Tech Division Awards Committee, at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
POST AWARD REQUIREMENTS:
1. Recipient (s) will write a brief article (approximately 1,000 words) on the conference experience for the November 2015 Sci-Tech News.
2. Recipient (s) will be asked to serve on the Science-Technology Division Awards Committee in the following year to provide for the continuity and enthusiasm of the awards.
1. Applicants will receive notification of award status by mid-April 2015. The award check can be presented at the Annual Conference or sent to the recipient as soon as the receipts (travel expenses, registration, hotel, etc.) are received by the Awards Chairperson or Treasurer.
2. The recipient’s name will be posted to the Science-Technology Division’s Web site, as will the winning essay.
3. The award will be announced and presented to the recipient at the Science-Technology Division’s Annual Awards Ceremony on Sunday June 14, 2015 (6pm-8pm EST). The presenter may be the DST Chair, the DST Awards Committee Chair, or a representative from the vendor supporting this award, SPIE Digital Library.