Drexel University College of Computing & Informatics Now Offering
Free Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)
Introduction to Informatics
Taught by Monica Maceli, PhD, CCI Assistant Teaching Professor
Learn about field that’s the driving force behind our information world, at the intersection of information, people, and technology.
• 5-week course
• Provides overview of the definition, history, and purpose of the field of informatics
• Focuses on the users of information systems, the information that can be accessed through these systems and the social/organizational issues associated with the use of these systems
• Examines why informatics is such an important field in today’s world by investigating how we organize, use, and develop information
Multicultural Resources for Diverse Populations
Taught by Vanessa Irvin Morris, EdD, CCI Assistant Teaching Professor and author of the award-winning book, The Readers’ Advisory Guide to Street Literature (ALA Editions, 2012)
Learn how libraries are responding to increased diversity in their communities and how they can improve multicultural resources.
• 6-week course
• Explores various literatures, materials, and online resources targeted towards diverse user populations in libraries and other educational organizations
• Gives an overview of cultural competency models to provide a heightened understanding of the multiple identities library patrons, students, and customers encompass within any professional interaction
• Geared toward librarians, educators, and all parties interested in a professional development experience with an immersive, reflective approach to reading diverse literatures representing various cultural groups
Courses begin February 24, 2014. Register today at: Drexel.coursesites.com
NOTE: These MOOCs are parsed representations of an undergraduate-level course offered in the BSIS curriculum (INFO 105 – Introduction to Informatics), and a graduate-level course offered in the Library & Information Science curriculum (INFO 780 – Multicultural Resources for the Diverse Populations) at the College of Computing & Informatics (CCI), College of Computing and Informatics at Drexel University. These MOOCs are not eligible for credit. Those that complete the MOOC will receive a certificate of completion.