Please join us if you are interested in doctoral work in LIS!
Leaders Wanted: Cultivating Diversity in LIS Education
Saturday, June 28, 2014
10:30-1:00 (10:30-Panel/ 11:30-Options Fair)
Las Vegas Hotel – Paradise South
The ALA Office for Diversity and the University of Washington iSchool are very excited to invite you to our seventh annual information session with a focus on recruiting minority PhD students to the field of library and information science.
Leaders Wanted is:
• a panel of minority LIS PhD students sharing their journeys and helpful tips for the PhD application process
• an introduction to the Spectrum Doctoral Fellows and the ALISE/ALA Social Justice Collaboratorium
• an Options Fair where attendees can speak with faculty, doctoral students, and other representatives from a wide variety of schools from across the country (see list of participating schools below); learn about LIS PhD programs and funding opportunities.
All are welcome to join us!
• 10:30am-11:15am Panel on Doctoral Education
o Moderated by: Dr. Nicole Cooke, faculty member, University Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
o PhD student panelists:
- Jason Alston, University of South Carolina
- Lenese Colson, Florida State University
- Sandy Littletree, University of Washington
- Robert Montoya, UCLA
- LaVerne Gray, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
o Spectrum Doctoral Fellows – Introducing the ALISE/ALA Social Justice Collaboratiorium. Learn more about the Spectrum Fellows at: http://www.ala.org/offices/diversity/spectrum/phd
• 11:30am-1:00pm Options Fair (participating schools listed below*)
o Meet informally with representatives from schools with doctoral programs in LIS
o MLIS information will also be available
We look forward to seeing you at Leaders Wanted!
Allyson Carlyle, Associate Professor, University of Washington, iSchool (email@example.com)
Cynthia Del Rosario, Diversity Programs Advisor, University of Washington, iSchool (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Gwendolyn Prellwitz, Assistant Director Spectrum and Related Grants, Office for Diversity & Spectrum, ALA (email@example.com)
Schools Participating in Options Fair
University of Alabama
University of Arizona
Kent State University
University of Illinois
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
University of Missouri
University of North Carolina
San Jose State University
University of South Carolina
University of Tennessee
University of Washington
University of Wisconsin – Madison
University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.